Tahini sauce

Hi again! I was just thinking that its not been long, infact its been just about a fortnight since I started posting recipes here and sharing my experience cooking something in the kitchen. Everyday I'm spending more time on the computer learning something new- for the blog, as recipes, making new virtual friends, experimenting with my food photography (I'm really an amateur there as well), learning how to market myself (which I am absolutely pathetic at- so a career in marketing is out of question)- all in all a great learning experience. I'm learning 3 things at once! cooking, blogging and photography. This is what gets me so excited! Learning and being able to reach out to people with whom I can share my passions and pleasures. 

I was just talking to a friend P a couple days back and I was telling her that cooking is my joie de vivre. I don't think it can quite be expressed in words. It makes me feel so elated, gives me a high. When its time to serve up something I've made, to see the fruit of my labour on the table is such a contented bliss.  



So yesterday, I was in the mood to have some mediterranean food and I had my eyes set on Pita & Falafels since quite a long time.  Researches show that the mediterranean food, full of flavour, is really good for health.  As a topping to falafels and lafa (envelope) I needed a few toppings. And along with those toppings, I needed  a couple sauces. I took a pick of two of my favourites. I ended up making Tahini sauce, and Tzatziki. If you like things to be spicier, you can also go for a tomato chilli sauce. But I knew I'd end up making my Falafels spicy enough, so I made this milder sauces. 

Tahini and Tahini sauce are two different things. Tahini is basically an amalgamated paste of roasted sesame seeds and olive oil. I made Tahini sauce because it has more flavour as compared to just plain tahini. 

Serves: 6

Complexity: **

Time: 20 mins

You'll need 

1 cup Sesame seeds
3 tbsp olive oil
4-5 cloves of garlic, crushed
Juice of 1 big lemon
1 tsp Salt
2-3 tbsp water (if required)
Pinch of love

Method

Roast the sesame seeds in an oven at 250F for 15 minutes, or in a pan on low flame for 10 minutes till the seeds turn golden brown.



Add them to a grinder along with  the rest of the ingredients except water. Grind into a paste. 


















If you think its too thick, add water spoon by spoon. You don't want it to be too runny. I like mine a little textured so my seeds were coarsely ground. Transfer the delicious sauce in an airtight container and it can keep in your fridge for 1-2 months.



You can use it as a sandwich spread, on your burgers, to add another dimension to and thicken your gravies, with your falafels, in your Pita pockets (lafas) or even as a salad dressing. Told ya it was easy and yummy!! Don't forget to see how I used it in my Pita pockets. Indulge! :) 






Comments

Popular Posts