Masala Omelette


So first things first!!! 

A Sweet Sparkling 2016 to you!! 

May this year bring you abundant joy, unbound glory, infinite moments of cherishable memories and delectable food to grace your plate! 

To begin this year, on my breakfast plate was the every popular, evergreen, no-brainer, every day brekkie i.e. Masala Omelette. 

Omelette we all know is a favourite brekkie in most homes. This recipe though is an Indian twist on the french recipe. Addition of spices and herbs in plenty, gives your morning a spicy kickstart. I could think of no better way to start my new year with. In my kitchen, I make this omelette 4 days out of 7. Doesn't hurt that its a favourite of everyone in the family too! Inspired by the desi street food side omelette recipes, here is my Masala Omelette.  

I make variants of this by adding veggies of my choice. This is the basic version that I cook when there's nothing else in the fridge. Personally, I prefer this over the veggie laden ones. But you can feel free to add bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes or even potatoes, spinach, cheese, corn, whatever floats your boat. Lets get cookin'! 



Serves: 2

Time taken: 15 mins

Complexity: **

You'll need

3 large eggs
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 green chili, thinly sliced
Handful of fresh green cilantro leaves
1" pc of ginger, grated
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
salt to taste
1/2 tsp red chili powder
pinch of love
1 tbsp butter
couple drops of oil

Method

In a bowl,  throw in the chopped onion. You can choose to slice your onions thinly if you find that easier. 



Next goes in the thinly sliced green chili. I didn't deseed the chili, but you can. I like the heat from the chilies. Its a good boost to the metabolism in the morning. 



Add in the coriander leaves. If you do substitute coriander with parsley or basil, the flavour combination won't work unfortunately. 



Next grate in the ginger.



In go the cumin seeds



The salt



The red chili powder



Crack open the eggs, one by one. I love the vibrant colours of everything in the bowl. This itself makes my morning happy and bright! 



Next whisk everything manually for a couple minutes till everything is evenly combined and you've incorporated air in the mix



See the bubbles on the surface, this helps make your omelette light n fluffy. 



In a pan, over medium heat, add in the butter and couple drops of oil so the butter doesn't burn. 



When the butter is melted, ladle the omelette mix in the pan. 



Spread it around so its nice and even like so



Allow to cook on one side for 3-4 minutes on medium heat till its golden brown. Carefully flip it over with a spatula and allow to cook for another 2 minutes. Your omelette is ready!! 



I cut the omelette with a round cutter and stacked it up. Topped it up with some cheese and ta-da! Served it up with sliced tomatoes with freshly cracked pepper and lightly grilled bread that I cut in hearts. Was so difficult for me to be patient for the pictures before digging in! 



Hearty, spicy, delicious as can be! Indulge! 









Comments

Popular Posts