Sweet n Spicy Wraps


And with the oncoming of Spring, comes a new round of Energizer. For the uninitiated, the city I live in has a community of foodies that really growing HUGE and to keep the community alive n kicking, the admins organize energizers. You know, energizers, right?! the activities that keep you involved and enthused all the time!! Yep, thats right! 

So they give out 4 ingredients every week and a participant can choose to use all 4 or any 3 of the given ingredients and make a dish! 

This week, it was 

Pineapple,
Mint
Nutmeg and 
Condensed milk

I know, the mind reels!! to think of the possibilities and the amount of work that people put in.... its astounding! 

Yours truly, thought she might want to make something savoury with these list of ingredients. Ofcourse! what did you think?! I love savoury over sweet any day.... what?! are you surprised?! My obsession over Pizza should have been a give-away! 

I made these uhh-maayy-zing wraps for this week! Plain old chicken thighs dressed up with smoky paprika and nutmeg and covered with pineapple pico de gallo all wrapped up in a blanket of homemade tortillas



Serves: 2

Time taken: 30 mins

Complexity: **


You'll need

4 pineapple slices (I used the ones from the can)
3-4 sprigs of mint leaves
zest of one lime
1 red chili 
Tortillas
2-3 chicken thighs 
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp juice of a lime
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
2 garlic cloves
Olive oil to drizzle
Pinch of love


Method

I would suggest you marinate your chicken thighs in the spices for as long as possible but 15-20 mins should also suffice. 

Have your chicken washed and dried. I prefer thighs over breasts cause they always are more juicy and taste better. But feel free to whatever you want to. You are the master of your rooster. 



Sprinkle the smoked paprika over the chicken. I love the low hum of sweetness that this renders to the chicken. It helps tie in the sweetness of the pineapple and the fieriness of the chilies. Its perfection in a bottle. I absolutely love it! Did I mention I reealllllyyy liked the smokiness. okay, so smoked paprika.



Here's me showing you the bottle, as if you didn't already know how much I loved it. 



And the salt, which is invisible here. I'm going to have to start using flaky salt so that it shows up in pictures! 



Grate over some nutmeg... boy!! this nutmeg!! I'm keeping this forever to season my chicken! 



Crack some fresh black pepper



Some lime juice



And a drizzle of olive oil. 



Cover this and refrigerate for 15 mins minimum. Meanwhile, lets get started on the pico de gallo. The ingredients all mis-en-place



Dice the pineapple slices. 



Throw in the mint leaves. Tear them up if you like



Add in the sliced fiery red chili.



Lime zest and give it all a toss. Your pico de gallo is ready to go! 



Let me introduce you to the new hero of my life. My new skillet! 



Ain't it handsome?! You're going to make me soooo happy! 



Have the skillet heating on a medium high heat for a couple of minutes. Take out the chicken out of the fridge atleast 15 mins prior to the cooking cause you don't want the cold chicken to go in that hot skillet. If you just marinated yours, then start cookin'! Add your chicken thighs to the skillet. You should hear them sizzle. If they don't sizzle, your pan wasn't hot enough. 



As soon as the fat starts to render, in a minute or so, add the garlic cloves. If we added the garlic cloves before the chicken, they would have burnt and burnt garlic, it aint good for anything my darlin' (excuse my language, seems like I'm possessed by a Texan soul or somethin') 



Getting back, cook the chicken for about 4 minutes each side depending on the thickness of your chicken thigh. You'll notice your garlic will have softened by now. That garlic... is going to be almost sweet. Soooo good!! The chicken's almost done now. Look how perfectly golden it is. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before shredding it. 



To assemble, heat your tortillas on a grill/ griddle. Lay down the shredded chicken on the tortilla. See how moist the meat looks. And the aroma of it... I just had to sneak in a piece of it while i was clicking pictures! 



Spoon over the delicious and simple Pico-de-gallo. Lord- o lord!! I could just eat the pico de gallo by itself and be a happy clam! Dust in your pinch of love. 



Wrap it up and bite in!! As simple as that! And yay!! Here it is! Sweet n spicy wraps. The gentle heat of the chili and smoked paprika and the sweetness of the pineapple and that magical nutmeg... the perfect bite. 



Indulge! 



I also cooked some crashed potatoes, recipe coming soon!  











Comments

Popular Posts